FIRE CREWS were called to a fire in an empty storage tank in Shell Haven, Coryton.
The incident happened at 1pm on Friday January 24th.
Station Officer Geoff Wheal from Corringham fire station said:
“The workers were carrying out maintenance work on the empty storage tank, they were cutting away at the steel flooring and welding when tarmac at the base of the tank started to smoulder and caught alight, the crews wore breathing apparatus and used one main jet to extinguish the fire.
“ECFRS crews worked with the on-site Shell firefighters to quickly extinguish the fire by 13:54hrs. A thermal image camera was used to check for any remaining hotspots.