SUPERFAST Essex, the programme to improve broadband connectivity in the county, has launched a new and improved website to help communicate what is happening and promote the benefits of using faster broadband.
The £24.6m programme funded by Broadband Delivery UK (BDUK), Essex County Council and BT and co-ordinated by Essex County Council, is working to improve broadband coverage in the county so that more than 87% of homes and businesses have access to fibre broadband by the end of 2016, enabling people to access faster connection speeds than those available on the copper network.
The new website is available at www.superfastessex.org and has been redesigned to make it more user-friendly, accessible and easier to navigate. The site offers a resource to Essex residents and businesses, where they can find all information on the broadband improvements in one place. This includes links to useful external sites.
One of the key features is the new Postcode Checker, where residents can now find out the most up-to-date programme status for their area simply by entering a postcode. Other features of the website include:
· Speed Checker – links to sites where residents can find out how to check what current broadband speed they are receiving
· Broadband Checker – links to an external web resource where residents can find out if broadband is already available in their area
· Broadband Service Providers – links to a summary page where residents can find out which providers provide services in their area
· A video about the fibre broadband rollout programme
· Latest news and archive press releases – follow the story from the beginning
· More FAQs – we’ve tried to ensure we’ve provided an answer to the most frequently asked questions about Superfast Essex.
· More information on the benefits of fibre broadband at home and work
There is also a coverage map, events list and background information about the programme, as well as links to our Twitter feed and our Make the Connection Survey where visitors can sign up for updates.
Essex County Council Leader, Cllr David Finch, said: “We want to support businesses to work smarter and help our local economy to grow, and having a good broadband connection is important to enable this to happen.
“Superfast Essex is constantly evolving and we want to keep our residents and businesses as informed as possible throughout. We hope the new website will help us do this, particularly with the new easy-to-use Postcode Checker tool. It’s worth a visit!”