Football: Thurrock overpower Tibury in seven goal thriller

FA Trophy Preliminary Round

Thurrock 4 v 3 Tilbury 3

THURROCK and Tilbury fought a thrilling battle with the home side winning by the odd goal in seven. Tilbury gave debuts to Matt Game and Ellis Remy, as well as a return to the club of Jimmy Cook at left back. Tilbury as they have in recent weeks started strongly with Francis Babalola causing problems to former Dockers skipper Aaron Waters.

The first real chance of the game fell to hat trick hero Ross Wall who saw his header brilliantly tipped over by Milard and then seconds later Onyemah missed a golden chance from SIX yards that saw his effort strike the bar.

Tilbury took the lead on 11 minutes when Babalola crossed into the box and found returning midfielder Tom Wood to slot home.

The game was end to end and Thurrock equalised on 22 when Stimson hit a lovely curling shot home. Within two minutes Tilbury were again in front when Bablaola played the ball into space and Ellis Remy showed his strength as he turned and lopped the unlucky Walker into an empty net. Within a minute Remy hit another strike from distance but saw the upright shudder. Tilbury started to up there game, but Thurrock held out well.

In the 35th minute, a Goode free kick was well cleared by Aiken as Thurrock had plenty of pressure. Thurrock were back on level terms a minute later when a corner from Goode found Ross Wall unmarked to head home.

Tilbury again went in front four minutes before the break when Babalola was brought down 25 yards from goal and up stepped Ellis Remy who fired home with pace into the roof of the net for a fine goal. On half time Stimson fired towards goal but was denied by Milard.

The home side started the second period strongly with Onyemah firing over. Just passed the hour Thurrock again became on level terms when Wall spun in the box to fire home.

In the 63rd minute, Stimson headed wide before substitute Hazelwood hit the base of the post.

In the 67th minute, Thurrock scored the all important goal when a cross from the left saw Wall fire brilliantly home to take a 4-3 lead and to complete a well earned hat trick.

With 20 minutes to go a rare Tilbury attack saw Remy go close. Hazelwood was causing all sorts problems as he blazed over.

In the 81st minute, Hazlewood was again in the thick of the action when he went through on Elliot Johnson and picked up his second yellow card of the evening and was sent off. Tilbury pushed hard late in the game which saw Flack blaze over from close range.

Tilbury return to league action next Saturday when they entertain Maldon and Tiptree.

Assistant Manager Danny Smith said "Really proud of the boys. Great effort and we looked dangerous going forward. We are still a club with work in progress, but must cut out the silly mistakes.

"When the squad are all fit, I am confident we will have a good run"

Team:- Milard, Johnson, J Cook, Webb, S West, Game, Babalola (Taylor-Crossdale 72), Carlile, Remy, Aiken and Wood (Flack 79)

Subs not used: Henty, Smith and Hubbard

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.