Football: All square at the Abbey for Thurrock

Ryman Div One North

Waltham Abbey 1 v 1 Thurrock

THERE was less than ten minutes on the clock when Thurrock had the ball in the net for the first time. Charlie Stimson was in a race to the ball with Waltham keeper Ronnie Yates at the edge of the area. Stimson won the race and delivered what is fast becoming a trademark lob, Simon King shielded the ball into the net without touching it but was deemed to be offside, presumably for interfering with play.

A few minutes later and James Goode floated in a corner that was destined to go straight in the far post that was somehow cleared and led to a Waltham Abbey break culminating in a shot which beat Andy Walker but not Rob Gilman on the line.

A Rob Clark corner was glanced inches wide by Ross Wall before Waltham Abbey had their own good spell creating three good chances in as many minutes which saw Andy Walker pull out two absolute quality saves from a point blank shot and an overhead kick which was pushed onto the post.

Thurrock created another goalmouth scramble ten minutes before the end of the half when Ross Wall’s shot was cleared by the ‘keepers legs and bounced up to Mark Onyemah who managed to head against the post whilst being pushed and kicked unseen by the officials.

The second half also saw a brisk start. Ross Wall was played through and took the ball round the keeper put was pushed too wide to be able to get his shot on target,

A minute later and Thurrock were penalised for that rarest of free kicks, the back pass. A strong shot was cleared off the line and the linesman had his flag raised for what both Thurrock and Waltham assumed to be offside but in fact turned out to be a decision that the ball had crossed the line.

With twenty minutes remaining, Thurrock again had the ball in the net, it seemed to be an own goal punched in by a Waltham defender but the referee saw it as a deliberate handball by Lewwis Spence whom he booked despite the linesman signalling a good goal.

Rob Clark flashed a shot just wide of the far post before Ross Wall split the defence for Charlie Stimson to blast into the roof of the net, this time no reason could be found to disallow the goal and it stood.

Both sides pushed hard for the winner but in the end it was honours even and a point apiece.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.