Football: Bitter blow for Fleet as sunk by Brightlingsea

Ryman Div One North

Thurrock 1 v 3 Brightlingsea Regent

Report courtesy of Thurrock FC

NEWLY promoted Brightlingsea Regent paid their second visit to Ship Lane in the space of four days having progressed to the quarter final of the Essex Senior Cup after beating Romford on Wednesday and they tested Andy Walker in the first minute. Charlie Stimson responded in kind swivelling in the box and snapping off a left foot shot which brought a fine save from Regent’s keeper who palmed the way away.

Before ten minutes had elapsed both keepers again were called into action as first Andy Walker had to get down smartly and then Ryan Bedingfield had to deal with a Rob Clark shot.

Halfway through and Thurrock suffered a bitter blow as Charlie Stimson was stretchered off the field with an ankle injury to be replaced by Lamar Reynolds. Thurrock were now struggling to keep hold of the ball and Brightlingsea had the upper hand for the next ten minutes or so but Thurrock were still making their own chances with Lamar Reynolds sending in a superb cross which was just cleared by Brightlingsea’s defence and Brad Warner’s corner was met by a back header from Reynolds which crept just wide of the post.

Brad Warner had another good chance but having been sent through the defence found the ball caught up in his feet and couldn’t get a shot away, Brightlingsea broke away and only another great save from Andy Walker kept the scores equal. The resulting corner was whipped in and headed home for Brightlingsea to take the lead.

Two minutes before half time and Thurrock lost the ball in midfield and were duly punished by Phil Kelly who placed the ball just inside Walker’s far post.

Lamar Reynolds showed the first glimpse of a Thurrock come back sending in a low hard cross which was put behind for a corner but was very close to an own goal.

Thurrock were then the makers of their own misery as a poorly underhit pass across the box was snapped up by Russell Malton although he needed several stabs as Andy Walker and James Goode performed heroics to block the ball but were ultimately unsuccessful.

Thurrock remained unbowed and started piling on the pressure, Brad Warner’s shot was directly at the keeper and easily gathered, Ross Wall met Rob Clark’s cross but his header was going wide however Brad Warner got to it and hit a soft shot on target. Lewwis Spence made a brilliant tackle on the half way line, took a step forward, glanced up and pinged in a 40 yard lob which beat the keeper but agonisingly bounced off the top of the bar. Lamar Reynolds and Ross Wall had some neat interplay inside the box before Reynolds drew another fine save from Bedingfield who had to get down low and fast. The pressure finally paid off with Lewwis Spence finishing off a Mark Onyemah cross.

There was still twenty minutes to play but Thurrock just couldn’t make the breakthrough although as per usual they continued playing to the end and Ross Wall saw his swerving shot cruelly hit the outside of the post having left the keeper stranded right on 90 minutes.

The referee indicated five minutes of added time, it wasn’t enough to make any further inroads but the final indignity was served as Lewwis Spence received a second yellow card and was dismissed on the final whistle.

Team: Andy Walker, Loui Hazelwood, Mark Onyemah, Rob Gilman, Simon King, James Goode (Greig Stewart 55), Brad Warner, Lewwis Spence, Rob Clark, Ross Wall, Charlie Stimson (Lamar Reynolds 23)

Unused: John Osonowo, Jordon Warren, Jamie Age

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.