Sunday, June 23, 2024

Rugby: Stanford romp to victory at home

Stanford 2s (38) – East London 3s (10)

Stanford Romp to a home victory.

THE game started off in the sunshine and with some confusion over the kick off time, the match got under way just before 2pm. Stanford started off a little shaky allowing East London far too much space to run at them and it was down to Captain and fly half Sean Cochrane to keep kicking clear to relieve the pressure.

With field position at a scrum Mark O’Connell (just returning from a long enforced injury period) saw his opportunity break clear at 8 and running down the blind side. O’Connell fended off the attempted tackles and burst over the try line for Stanford’s first score after 6 minutes.

Stanford was now starting to play some good rugby and was making their visitors defend hard. As the first 20 minutes of the game came to a close Ash Downes received a heavy knock top the head and made way for Liam Fitzpatrick. As the game restarted London moved the ball blind and sprinted 3/4 of the pitch to score in the corner. O’Connell’s injury started flair up and he came off being replaced at 8 by Blaine Norton.

London were now on level pegging and as their confidence grew they started to throw the ball about, but good pressure defence from Mike Kite saw London fumble and a big boot through from Kite. As the chase towards London’s post continued Kite managed to get ahead of the cover give the ball a 2nd nudge taking it into the in goal area, but a moment of madness for the London cover saw him jump onto Kite’s back giving the official no other choice but to award a penalty try which Cochrane converted.

Stanford forwards were next to put a score on the board via James Weston after at least 8 phases of constant rucking Weston found the gap in the London defence and dived in under the posts, with an easy conversion to follow by Cochrane. The Stanford forwards again played a major part in the fourth try, when they made the most of their strength at a scrum just on half time allowing the backs the time and space which Kite readily made the most of bringing the half time score to 26 – 5 in favour of Stanford.

With a number of players ready to play their part Stanford rang the changes at half time With Clive Broad, Jake Martin, Paul Giroud and Matthew Hornsby all taking the place on the pitch.

The second half started extremely well for Stanford when another strong push from the forwards allowed Hornsby to run in under the posts however a simple conversion was charged down by the visitors leaving Cochrane listening to the side line banter of the home side.

As the ran started to come in the game fell into a bit quite period with neither side really putting the other under much pressure. However it was London who seemed to get to grips with the rain first and as Stanford were forced back after giving away some penalties the visitors found themselves with an attacking scrim just five metres away from the Stanford try line. Making the most of this pressure London played some good phase ball through their forwards and were awarded their 2nd try of the game.

Stanford made their remaining changes with 20 minutes of the game to go with Billy Gibbs, Ryan Nelson, Tim Cochrane and Brad Wheeler coming on. As the rain stopped Stanford found themselves once again in London’s half of the pitch and as the visitors knocked on Nelson made the most of the advantage and weaved his way untouched across the try line.

With the final whistle being blown it was Stanford that were clear winners with 6 tries to two and a 38 -10 home win. A quick mention should be made to Jack Cochrane who played his very first senior game for Stanford after having turned 17 the weekend before, he gave a very good comprehensive performance on the wing, and with more players coming through the future of Stanford rugby looks secure, in the hands of the youth.

Chingford 10 Stanford 29


To even the numbers both teams fielded 13 players. Stanford started strongly with good runs from Mason Whitfield and Teddy Shaw. Chingford were also making a number of strong runs which resulted in last ditch tackles by Connan Crowhurst and Finlay Maher. Stanford took the lead with Connan Crowhurst reaching out to score in the corner. Connan fed Finlay Maher from a scrum who stepped back inside to put Teddy Shaw for his first score of the day. Great forward play saw Tom Oughton to come within a meter of the line, Ryan Blyde scooped up the ball and drove himself over the line. Connan Crowhurst added the extra points. Chingford had the last say in the first half scoring from a penalty 5 meters out with a strong run.

Teddy Shaw added a further two scores using his pace to outstrip the Chingford defence. Connan Crowhurst converted the last score. Chingford separated those two scores with a team score as the ball went through a number of hands. Stanford had to make a number of last ditch tackles as Chingford threatened.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles