Monday, February 6, 2023

Football: Thurrock second after fine away win

Ryman Div One North>/b>

Bury Town 2 v 3 Thurrock

THURROCK cemented their Ryman North promotion challenge by securing second place in the table with Tuesday’s win at Ram Meadow, which ended the home side’s six match unbeaten run.

At one point it looked like it would be a comfortable win as Fleet established a two goal lead but a determined Town came back from two goals down only for a soft goal to give Thurrock the win – and the visitors’ smiles broadened when news came in that fellow promotion challengers Harlow had been beaten, allowing Mark Stimson’s side to go above the Hawks.

Thurrock were first to go close to opening the scoring on 11 minutes when Harry Agombar worked the ball in to the box and hit a pacey shot just wide of the far post. A minute later a Josh Mayhew free kick was sent high in to the box but Thurrock keeper Rhys Madden’s quick reactions meant he got to the ball before an incoming Ollie Hughes.

Thurrock started to control the half and on 29 minutes they took the lead. Phil Weavers gave away a free kick just outside the box and with Weavers side-lined while the free kick was being taken, Agombar’s well struck free kick was hit home by Junior Baker.

Madden’s efforts, with a couple of fine saves from Hughes and Ollie Canfer ensured Thurrock took the lead into the break.

Thurrock started the second half on top but it was Bury who went close to the first goal of the half on 51 minutes. a Remi Garrett corner was initially caught by Madden who then dropped it at the feet of Phil Weavers but the keeper reacted quick to get down and smother the danger. Thurrock doubled their lead on 52 minutes, after a deep cross in to the box Ronnie Winn put the ball past keeper Neil O’Sullivan at the second attempt.

The second goal sparked Bury in to life and they halved the deficit on 60 minutes when Nick Ingram slotted his shot past Madden to claims of offside by the visitors. The goal stood and Bury started to find their game. 10 minutes later Bury were level, another good build up from Bury was finished off by Hughes as he coolly put his shot past Madden.

Thurrock looked dangerous from set pieces all game and it was another set piece which undid all Bury’s good work to put the game level. On 75 minutes a free kick again just outside the box was put in by Agombar and Ronnie Gleed hit his shot low and it crept under O’Sullivan to put Thurrock back in front.

Bury rallied again for the remainder of the game and on 94 minutes Hughes had a great chance to level it again after he powered down the wing came inside and got to the edge of the box but hit effort on goal was saved by Madden to round of his good night and send Thurrock home very happy.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles