Monday, May 27, 2024

Football: Great away win for Tilbury in FA Cup

FA Cup Extra preliminary round

Brentwood 1 v 2 Tilbury

Report courtesy of Antony Mercer

FIRST half strikes from Kurt Smith and Tony Martin saw progress in the FA Cup, where Tilbury will travel to Felixstowe and Walton United.

Tilbury won their first game of the season as they progressed to the 1st qualifying round of the FA Cup after coming from behind to win.

After Tuesday’s disappointing defeat at Ware, manager Gary Henty made four changes to his line up, but again started slowly giving the ball away at times.

After just 10 seconds Tilbury keeper Lee Butcher came to the rescue when he saved at the feet of Reynolds, with the home side calling for a penalty. The home side took the lead on 11 minutes, when Tilbury gave the ball away and the effective Lamar Reynolds ran through to slot home. This did kick Tilbury in to gear and a few minutes later Reiss Gilbey headed to Tony Martin, who saw his shot well saved by Moore, before Kurt Smith hitting the rebound just wide.

Tilbury did equalise on 20 minutes when Tony Martin shot on goal, the ball bounced back to Brentwood defender Cavalier and the referee deemed harshly that he had handled the ball in the box and Kurt Smith made no mistake from the spot. On 28 Martin was again close when Conor Mead crossed and Martin’s volley went just wide.

In the 35th minute, Tilbury scored the all important goal, when Tom Anderson closed down the defender, took the ball to the byline and crossed for Tony Martin to head low into the net.

During the half time interval, Tilbury made a change with Aiken replacing Mead, but it was the home side who kept possession for long periods, without causing too many problems.

Reiss Gilbey was in the thick of the action on 56 when his low effort was well tipped wide by Moore, before the corner fell to the same player who again was denied by a fine Moore save. Tom Anderson then saw his overhead kick just over.

Brentwood did push hard and Reynolds saw his low shot well saved by Butcher, before substitute Matt Hall firing from 30 yards just over the Tilbury cross bar.

In the final minute Harry Cook shot at goal and Martin hit the rebound over.

The result sees Tilbury travel to Felixstowe and Walton United in the first qualifying round on 3rd September.

After the game manager Gary Henty commented "Always pleasing to get through in the FA Cup"

Tilbury return to action next Saturday, when they welcome Dereham Town in the league. 3pm kick off.

Tilbury: Butcher, C Mead (Aiken 46), Norton, Peddie, Nightingill, Anderson, Aromolaran, Carlile, Martin (H Cook 81), Gilbey (Richmond 68), K Smith

Unused subs: Jaggs and Odedoyin

Tilbury return to action on Saturday,at home, against Dereham Town.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles