Football: Thurrock secure first win of the season

Ryman Div One North

Thurrock 1 v 0 Wroxham

Report courtesy of Thurrock FC.

THURROCK secured their first win of the season along with a clean sheet. After the game Mark Stimson had this to say: "I asked the players for a fast start and take the game to Wroxham and the players delivered from the first minute and after 20 minutes we were 1 nil up when Charlie Stimson scored after good link up play with Ross Wall.

"Somehow when didn’t add to the score line before half time. The talk at half time was about keeping a clean sheet and getting three points, again the players did their jobs and got us our first win of the season."

Match Report

A number of new faces on the bench for Thurrock and Richard Halle takes the captain’s armband but a familiar starting line-up albeit in a slightly different formation to usual.

Thurrock created their first chance within the first minute, Charlie Stimson collects the ball in the area but can’t find a cross but still wins a corner. This first corner is defended for a corner on the other side. Glenn Poole swings it to the front of the box where Lewis Clark meets the ball just inside the eighteen yard line but the ball is cleared. Moments later another Poole free kick see Clark and Stimson both up ahead of the Wroxham defence, Stimson gets the header which glances over the bar. Ronnie Winn is next to get into the area and aims at the far side netting and only the slightest of deflections sees it go wide.

The pressure remains relentless and the chances just keep coming. Robbie Martin wins a throw taken by Poole to Winn and returned back, Poole crosses and both Ross Wall and his marker fail to connect and the ball is cleared to Stimson who draws a save from Elliot Pride. Charlie Stimson pulls off a sublime flick to set up Wall in the area, Wall manages to turn away from the keeper and leaves him scrabbling on the floor but there is no way through the three covering defenders.

The breakthrough happens just under twenty minutes in. Ronnie Winn passes to Stimson just outside the box, Stimson lets the ball run past to Ross Wall who taps the ball back into Stimson’s path to shoot between keeper and the post.[1-0]

Moments later Wall is onto a poor back pass, he takes a snapshot but Pride is able to stick out a leg and keep the ball out. Wroxham are able to break away and one-on-one with Darren Behcet the ball is lobbed wide. The ball is soon back deep in Wroxham’s half as Wall attempts to play Joe Christou into space, the ball is cut out but comes back to him but again a swarm of Wroxham defenders prevent a clean shot. Another half chance for Wroxham before James Goode breaks up another attempt and feeds Reece Morgan who is hacked down just as he is getting into his stride. Poole whips in the resulting free kick which is guided goalwards by Wall but cruelly bounces off the back of Ronnie Winn’s head.

Stimson is Wall’s provider once more, Pride is first to the ball but can only sky it, Christou heads the ball goalwards where it is cleared off the line. Another fine passing movement from Wall to Christou to Stimson to Winn sees yet another block as Wroxham’s defence stands resolute and this continues as it remains a mystery how Reece Morgan’s blast from the edge of the area stayed out of the net.

Half Time: Thurrock 1 Wroxham 0

Thurrock started the second half the same way they started the first and within two minutes Poole is sending in another dangerous free kick, short to the front of the box this time where Stimson spins and shoots but mis-connects and the ball swerves out to the edge of the area, Richard Halle is on hand to put the ball back into the penalty box where Pride leaps highest to take.

Another scare for Thurrock as they fail to clear their lines and breathe a sigh as the shot is well wide. Wroxham’s Ben Lewis was already on a caution for kicking the ball away and despite being given a final, final warning committed one more foul too many and was dismissed with thirty minutes remaining.

Stimson flicks through for Winn this time but his cross is blocked before Morgan tries from the other touch line long beyond the far post, Winn sidefoot volleys back into the area for Wall to head over. A twenty yard volley from Poole follows palmed wide by the keeper.

Wroxham have a five minute spell where Thurrock are under pressure. Lewis Clark gets in a good tackle and clears the ball downfield. A dangerous corner is whipped in and Behcet is up to snatch it from the air. The ball comes back in again and Wroxham are again one-on-one with Behcet and it is Behcet who comes away with the ball.

Jake Gordon and Jakub Berkowicz have both come on to make their debuts and threaten. Gordon nicks the ball on the right touchline and hits the ball hard across the box, Berkowicz is waiting but another last gasp block sees the ball hoofed over the bar before it gets to him. Reece Morgan collects the ball at his own box and runs the length of the pitch before delivering, again a desperate foot pops the ball into the air, Stimson is underneath and holding his ground getting the ball under control when the referee signals a foul against him.

Into the final minutes and Behcet releases Morgan who again carries the ball into Wroxham’s half before passing down the line for Gordon, Gordon in turn finds Stimson’s head but once again Pride takes the catch.

The first win of 2016/2017 and a little bit nervy with a couple of scares along the way but three more points added to the tally.

Team: Darren Behcet, Reece Morgan, Lewis Clark, Richard Halle, Robbie Martin, James Goode, Joe Christou, Glenn Poole, Charlie Stimson, Ross Wall (Jake Gordon 69), Ronnie Winn (Jakub Berkowicz 76)

Unused: Connor Wheatley, Rokas Janilionis, Ross Gleed

Attendance: 72

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.