Rugby: Stanford overpower Billericay

WITH Billericay getting the game underway Stanford were shocked to be facing an attempt at their posts after just 30 seconds. The Billericay kicker was up for the challenge and slotted the ball between the posts to open the scoring.A good restart kick put Billericay under pressure from the chasing Stanford players and it wasn’t long before Stanford were in control of the ball. Pushing forward Stanford tested the Billericay defence but it held firm. Both sides were awarded turn over ball in the following exchanges with the percentage of territory going to Stanford. From an awarded scrum Stanford whipped the ball wide with a long searching pass. Liam Morley flew onto the ball and despite three defender’s best efforts Morley crashed over the line.Stanford was now in the ascendancy and kept the pressure up on their visitors, however Billericay was up for what it needed in defence. From an attacking line Gary Burke caught a long throw, as he raced forward he choose to chip ahead. Harry Tillet’s fast feet took him forward as he caught the ball before it had a chance to bounce, with the defence turned Tillet continued the foot race with ball in hand and couldn’t be stopped before he crossed the line.Billericay were determined to stay in the fight and they worked a good restart into a strong maul to power of the Stanford line only 2 minutes after the Stanford score.With the ball back in play Stanford had to make two enforced changes within the space of 3 minutes with Ryan Edgeway coming off and being replaced by Troy Elkes and then try scorer Tillet leaving the field for Dan May to come on. The game wasn’t flowing for either side with too many stoppages but it was Stanford who capitalised on two awarded penalties when Calum Reid made sure his side took 6 extra points, at the break Stanford lead 16-8.As Stanford started the second half they again put the pressure on the Billericay line, Reid saw that the defensive line was up fast and threw a high looping pass over their heads. As the ball came to ground it was Sam Herbert’s footballing skills that triumphed as he kicked the ball ahead twice and dropped on it over the line. Reid had no trouble adding the extra two points.Despite being behind Billericay was still giving everything they had and the game was far from over as they tried to claw back vital points. The penalty count from both sides was still mounting and the game was very much a stop and start affair. Both defensive lines held firm, Billericay was searching for points to readdress the balance and Stanford was looking for a fourth try and an extra bonus point.With the game closing out Nathan Hawkes came on for his 1st team debut. Stanford continued to attack and as they pushed Billericay back the visitors conceded multiple offences. With Stanford only metres away from the try line they moved the ball wide and Morley finished off a good passage of play to cross the line for his second and Stanford’s fourth try. The only thing left was for Reid to kick the conversion which he did and the final whistle blew with Stanford taking victory 30 – 8.Stanford named two players of the match Matt Rumble and Rickie Percival.Stanford 2nd XV won their league game against Loughton 1st XV by default as Loughton couldn’t field aside. They then went to play a friendly against Pegasus 2s winning 52 – 0The Sirens suffered their first loss of the season in the cup against a well organised Hackney team. The visitors ran in ten tries despite the Sirens having a fair share of the ball, any turnover was punished by quick wide runners. Lily Stribling managed to squeeze through a gap in the first half to score and with the last play Katrina Richardson found herself over the try line, under a pile of forwards. Amber Patience carried on her kicking duties by adding the extras. Final score 62-12 to Hackney.Burnham went 2 tries up and Stanford needed a boost; it came in the shape of winger Oli saving a break away try from the opposite wing by thumping the would be scorer so hard the ball was dislodged. In the next attack Ethan scored his first and the tables turned. From the kick off Ethan gathered once more and ran the length of the pitch. Burnham got one more try but the forwards of Leah, Aaron and Nathan were dominating and drove the team on. A gap appear and Tyler found his centre via an outrageous offload for Ethan to get his hat-trick. After half time Danny J broke through after an awesome run by Sam to score. But Burnham again replied with a try. Some deft hands by Jack and Declan put Ethan into space to score his fourth and winning try. Stanford win 25-20

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.