Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Smoke alarm saves lives at Tilbury fire

ESSEX Firefighters were called to the scene of a house fire in Kelvin Road on Thursday afternoon.

On arrival, crews reported that the property’s kitchen was alight and the downstairs was filled with smoke.

Vincent Payne, Watch Manager at Orsett Fire Station, said: “The lady involved in this incident did everything right despite finding herself in such a difficult situation. After hearing her smoke alarm sound, she immediately closed the door to the kitchen and got herself and three children out of the house, before calling 999.

“By closing the door, she contained the fire to the kitchen – meaning that when we arrived, it was relatively easy to put out. Crews then did their best to clear the house of smoke using positive pressure ventilation fans and keep damage to a minimum.”

The fire had been caused by a cooking pan of oil, which had become out of control and ignited and was extinguished by 3.10pm.

The home’s kitchen has been completely destroyed and the downstairs of the property has suffered smoke damage throughout. The family have been left in the care of the local authority to make alternative housing arrangements.

More than half of accidental fires at home are started by cooking – follow our cooking safety advice to stay safe in your kitchen.

•Avoid leaving children in the kitchen alone when cooking on the hob. Keep matches and saucepan handles out of their reach to keep them safe.
•Make sure saucepan handles don’t stick out – so they don’t get knocked off the stove.
•Take care if you’re wearing loose clothing – this can easily catch fire.
•Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.
•Double check the cooker is off when you’ve finished cooking.
•Take care if you need to leave the kitchen whilst cooking, take pans off the heat or turn them down to avoid risk.

Deep fat frying

•Take care when cooking with hot oil – it sets alight easily.
•Make sure food is dry before putting it in hot oil so it doesn’t splash.
•If the oil starts to smoke – it’s too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool.
•Use a thermostat controlled electric deep fat fryer. They can’t overheat.
•If your pan catches fire, turn off the heat if it is safe to do so. Never throw water over it.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles