Football: Back to Back Wins for the Fleet

Thurrock v Worthing


Thurrock 3 Worthing 2

Bostik League Premier

Report by Hazel Woodward


AFTER a good home win over Dorking Wanderers last Saturday, hopes were high on Bank Holiday Friday Evening as Thurrock took on Worthing.

Worthing have had a tough start to this season and have not registered a point. They have had to play all their fixtures away as their 3G pitch is not quite ready. Indeed, tonight’s fixture was swapped from Worthing to Ship Lane, with the return game to be at Worthing on December 23rd. No beach and ice-cream for me then!

Owing to dreadful travelling conditions both ways on the M25, delaying match officials, players and fans alike, the kick off was delayed by 15 minutes. Several Worthing fans had managed to make the journey, and they supported their team vocally throughout. And they had a drum!

Former West Ham youngster Tim Brown was given his second game in goal for Thurrock and Thurrock began the game with energy and a fantastic run down the wing by Ronnie Winn with an excellent cross enabled Joe Christou to shoot superbly from the edge of the penalty area into the corner of the net.


Joel Nouble and Joe Christou caused many early problems for the Worthing defence and in the 4th minute Glenn Poole shot narrowly wide from distance. Another good run from Joe Christou led to him shooting just wide. A good pass into the area led to an audacious flick from Ronnie Winn which was going in until somehow goalkeeper Lucas Covolan managed to fingertip the ball over the bar.

After 11 minutes Worthing settled and they went close with their first attack. It became an end-to-end game and in the 16th minute Worthing’s Gary Elphick knocked the ball down to Ross Edwards whose shot went just wide.

In the 20th minute good play between Joe Christou and Charlie Stimson led to a shot from Charlie which was very well saved by keeper Covolan just before Ben Pope replaced Lloyd Dawes.

In the 25th minute another Thurrock attack led to the defence half clearing and Joe Christou had another long shot into the corner of the net.

In the 31st minute Ruben Schneider had a shot for Worthing which was well saved by Tim Brown. From the resulting corner Matt Boiling headed just over the bar. Three minutes later an excellent through pass from Ben Pope to James Fraser led to Fraser beating Brown for Worthing’s first goal.

Worthing continued to attack and Thurrock were grateful for a superb tackle by Jordan Clark. Soon after came a good clearance by James Goode. The clearance led to a further chance for Thurrock as Ronnie Winn passed to Joe Christou but his shot was well saved.

During the 1 minute of injury time there was still time for wonderful play by Joel Nouble who crossed to Charlie Stimson, but his shot went narrowly wide.


Worthing started the second half brightly and forced an early corner. Five minutes later another wonderful run by Ronnie Winn through the middle with an excellent pass to Charlie Stimson led to Thurrock’s third goal as Charlie scored from the edge of the area.


Harry Gerard replaced Glenn Poole for Thurrock for his debut appearance. In the 55th minute an excellent cross from the Worthing right by Zac Newton gave a chance to James Fraser but his shot was blocked by the defence for yet another Worthing corner. A minute later a close shot by Joel Nouble was saved by Covolan and cleared by the defence.

Worthing attacked again and the calm and efficient Joe Bruce was called upon to make an important clearance but with their next attack Worthing forced a corner from which Gary Elphick powered home.


Soon after Thurrock had a great shout for a penalty as Joel Nouble seemed to be brought down on the right hand side of the penalty area but the referee was unmoved. A good pass from Joel Nouble led to a shot from Joe Christou that was well saved, and a further shot from Harry Gerard was also well saved.

As the game went from one end to another Tim Brown was forced into a good save from another Worthing attack.

For Thurrock Ronnie Winn put yet another good cross in and Joe Christou’s shot went wide. That was followed by a lob from Charlie Stimson from 30 yards out that was caught by keeper Covolan. Joel Nouble chased a lost cause and forced a corner from a Worthing back pass situation but Worthing cleared.

In the 79th minute a Worthing attack was cleared off the line. Phew. In the 81st minute Jordan Clark was replaced by Reece Morgan. Immediately after, yet another Worthing attack sent the ball right across the goal. It could so easily have gone in. Phew again. Following the scramble in the penalty area the ball was cleared.

In the 87th minute Charlie Stimson had a shot saved by Covolan, and soon after Joe Christou had another long shot saved.

With 3 minutes of injury time signalled, Worthing substitute Tony Nwachukwu’s cross from the right looped over Thurrock keeper Tim Brown and hit the crossbar, bouncing back into play. The defence somehow managed to clear.

A thoroughly entertaining, end to end game. Like Dorking, Worthing continued to attack throughout the game. Joe Christou’s early goals made a huge difference to what could have been a different result

Joe Christou, Joel Nouble, Ronnie Winn and Charlie Stimson were outstanding as can be seen by the number of shots that the team had.

Thurrock: Tim Brown, George Winn, James Goode, Joe Bruce, Richard Halle, Jordan Clark (Reece Morgan 82’), Joe Christou, Glenn Poole (Harry Gerard 53’), Charlie Stimson, Joel Nouble, Ronnie Winn.

Scorers – Joe Christou (2’, 25’), Charlie Stimson (51’)


Worthing: Lucas Covolan, Rgorigo Schmodinger, Sam Rents, Ross Edwards (Luke Brodie 75’), Gary Elphick, Matt Boiling, Zack Newton, Kershaney Samuels, Lloyd Dawes (Ben Pope 21’), James Fraser, Reuben Schneider (Tony Nwachukwu 68’).

Scorers – James Fraser (34’), Gary Elphick (56’)


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.