Monday, May 29, 2023

Essex Senior League Round-Up – Saturday 26th August


The Friday night derby between Tower Hamlets and Clapton was attended by 468 people, most of them supporting the away side. However despite constant singing support the Tons were not able to raise their game and had to settle for a goalless draw. It was well-contested, with chances at a premium. In the end the point is probably what neither side needed as they have both made a stunted start to the new campaign.


Redbridge snapped a four game losing streak by shattering FC Romania’s winning run with a hard fought 3-2 victory. Brian Moses fired Redbridge into an early lead before goals from Florin Pop and Toby Cleaver tipped the balance in FC Romania’s favour. However Lindisipho Mytanda levelled up before Bradley Gates scored a late winner for the Motormen.


Hullbridge Sport returned to league action after their heartbreaking FA Cup exit on penalties to St. Margaretsbury in midweek. This time they were the heartbreakers as Ronnie Pallett’s goal deep in stoppage time saw Hullbridge Sports beat Stansted 2-1. Angus Poole had given the hosts the lead, but Stansted levelled up via Jack Sykes, then missed a penalty and had a goal disallowed; all of which ended up costing the Airportmen dear as they were defeated by a goal that came officially  in the 94th minute.


Takeley made it five wins out of five after a 4-0 away win at Burnham Ramblers. Will Green gave the leaders an early lead with further goals coming in the second half via George Wappert, Stuart Zanone and Mitchell Das. Takeley lead the table by three points and have set their stall early as one of the teams


Basildon United are up to second after they continued their good start to the campaign by beating Hackney Wick 3-2. Tommy Barton opened the show in the 4th minute, with Matthew Brinklow scoring right on half-time. Ashley Blackburn then scored the winner in the 90th minute that cancelled out the two goals that Matteo King scored for the hosts. The four game winning streak is Basildon United’s best start since the 2008/09 season and they, along with Taekely, are the only teams still with a one hundred percent record.


Great Wakering Rovers found Enfield 1893 tough to break down but finally did so in stoppage time. An injury time penalty was successfully converted by Bradley Nobbs which won the game 1-0 and sees Rovers finish the day in third place.


Ilford put their midweek FA Cup mauling to one side and registered a 3-1 win over Sawbridgewroth Town that puts them in sixth place. Aaron Wickham, Glody Nsamu and Jamie Hart scored the Foxes goals, while Sam Coe was able to score a consolation for Sawbridgeworth Town.


Sporting Bengal United made it two away wins on the road after a 2-0 win at Southend Manor. A goal in each half secured the points with Codey Cameron and Oscar Mendes supplying the goals. The win moves Sporting Bengal up to seventh.


Woodford Town (2017) stretched their unbeaten run to three after a 2-1 win over Barkingside. Elliot Green and a late winner from Ina Rodriguez secured the points. Billy Rix grabbed the Barkingside goal.


The local derby between Waltham Forest and Wadham Lodge did not take long to ignite as Ash Pibworth fired Wadham into a 6th minute lead but Daniel Medina equalised a minute later. Bradley Harris and Joshua Wandera went on to add further goals that won the game 3-1 in Waltham Forest’s favour and moves them up to sixteenth. Wadham Lodge meanwhile are bottom of the table and remain pointless from their five opening games.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles