Ambulance service advice to Thurrock residents ahead of Guy Fawkes Night

East of England Ambulance

Enjoy this Bonfire Night responsibly

That’s the message from the region’s ambulance service ahead of a weekend of fireworks displays and bonfires.

Every year, the East of England Ambulance Service NHS Trust (EEAST) is called to patients who have suffered firework or bonfire-related burns or injuries.

The public are being urged to enjoy their evenings with the sound of a bang and not the sound of sirens.

Try and attend a professionally-organised display. However, if you are planning to have you own event, here are our tips:
• Keep fireworks in a closed box and use them one at a time
• Read and follow the instructions on each firework, using a torch if necessary
• Keep naked flames, including cigarettes, away from fireworks
• Never return to a firework once it has been lit
• Don’t put fireworks in pockets and never throw them
• Direct any rocket fireworks well away from spectators
• Never use paraffin, petrol or any accelerant on a bonfire to get it going
• Always supervise children when using sparklers

The Trust is also reminding people how to deal with burns should it be needed:
• Stop the burning process as soon as possible. This may mean removing the person from the area, dousing flames with water or smothering flames with a blanket. Do not put yourself at risk of getting burnt as well
• Remove any clothing or jewellery near the burnt area of skin. However, don’t try to remove anything that is stuck to the burnt skin because this could cause more damage
• Cool the burn with cool or lukewarm water for 10 to 30 minutes. Never use ice, iced water or any creams or greasy substances such as butter
• Keep yourself or the person warm. Use a blanket or layers of clothing, but avoid putting them on the injured area. Keeping warm will prevent hypothermia, where a person’s body temperature drops below 35ºC (95ºF). This is a risk if you are cooling a large burnt area, particularly in young children and elderly people
• Cover the burn with cling film. Put the cling film in a layer over the burn, rather than wrapping it around a limb. A clean clear plastic bag can be used for burns on your hand.
• Treat the pain from a burn with paracetamol or ibuprofen. Always check the manufacturer’s instructions when using over-the-counter (OTC) medication. Children under 16 years of age should not be given aspirin.
• If you are concerned seek medical advice by calling 111 or in emergencies call 999

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.