Thurrock Local History Society
Old Thurrock in Photographs by Susan Yates
WE were disappointed that our speaker for our May meeting was unable to attend but our Chairman Susan Yates ably stepped into the breach at the last minute and gave us a tour across Thurrock in old photographs, with a tale to tell for each one.
Her many illustrations included Aveley, South Ockendon with its old windmill, the 1953 floods, Purfleet, Grays park and beach and Palmer’s School. She also included the Cross Keys at Chadwell (an old Seabrooke’s brewery), Stanford marshes, the Tilbury Hotel, Tilbury Riverside Station and Stanford le Hope. It was the days of horse and carts, with children playing in the street, lending an air of nostalgia to the evening.
Our next meeting is not until September, but in the meantime the Society will be out and about in the borough, attending the North Stifford Fete (16 June), the Windrush celebrations at Tilbury Cruise Terminal (22 June), Horndon Feast and Fayre (23/24 June) and the Orsett Show (1 September). So why not come along and visit our stall, you would be very welcome.