Saturday, April 13, 2024

Hockey: Great set of results for all Thurrock teams

Thurrock Hockey


East London started strongly in this East Division 8SE game but found it hard to penetrate a resolute Thurrock defence marshalled by Jordan Salmon. Thurrock slowly made progress up the field and gained a series of short corners but were unable to get past the in-form East London keeper and half time came with no score. In the second half Thurrock increased their effort and forced East London into mass defence to cut out the incessant attacks by brothers Jay and Jake Lamb backed up by Regan Harvey and Ben Clark. The pressure eventually led to a shot being stopped by a foot on the line and the award of a penalty flick. However the East London keeper made an athletic dive to tip the ball over the bar and the game remained scoreless.


Thurrock maintained their position at the top of the league with another comeback win. Despite having several players unavailable, Tees still managed to field a strong team and started the game with real intent. Alison Bonner and Fay Tuffee were peppering the Southend and Benfleet goal with shots but the goalkeeper was equal to everything thrown at her. In midfield, Sasa Naidoo and Sarah Judd were creating further opportunities, with Jade Franklin and the returning Becky McKenna working tirelessly down the wings. A rare Southend and Benfleet attack towards the end of the first half, led to a penalty corner from which they scored with a powerful direct shot. The score remained one nil until half time, leaving Thurrock to have to come from behind to preserve their unbeaten start to the season. Tees dominated the second half, allowing the defensive unit of Laura Fishleigh, Tessa Ing and Hannah Barcham to push forward and support the midfield and attack. After a flurry of penalty corners, a well-worked one-two between Bonner and Louise Pike, allowed Pike to slot in the well-deserved equaliser. Tees continued to push for the win and a great driving run and cross by Barcham was helped on by Lucy Cowman, enabling Ing to calmly finish at the far post. Thurrock’s dominance continued and they went further ahead when Pike scored her second from a penalty corner. The final score was 3-1 to Thurrock, who played some excellent attacking hockey during the game and will be looking to continue this as they face another unbeaten team, Romford, next Saturday.


Thurrock started well considering the drop in temperature at the weekend. After a week off for the Appleton-White wedding, they were a little rusty getting started but were soon into shape and moving the ball around the field efficiently. Lou Parrott, man of the match, worked Maldon tirelessly in the middle providing plenty of open play to Joey Taylor and Katie Lawrence up the wing which eventually paid off when Leah Purser managed to find the back of the goal in the second half. Maldon were also on good form and managing to pass around the defensive players making Thurrock work hard to try and apply the pressure. Sally Ellis, Nikhol Chapman and Emily Wynne all managed to keep Thurrock’s clean sheet to the end with some excellent keeping from Kelly Bentley. Thurrock are against Crostyx next weekend and hoping to keep their ‘no losses’ streak going!


Thurrock were looking for their sixth straight victory and quickly found their rhythm against a well organised Old Southendians side. Thurrock dominated possession in the opening period of the game, but couldn’t quite find a way through, until Darren Clark found space in the D to strike the ball under the keeper. This gave Thurrock the drive to push forward and were quickly rewarded when Ash Snell scored with a reverse flick over the keeper. Old Southendians began to push forward and Thurrock had skipper Paul Mailey in the right place from a penalty corner to save a certain goal with a good stop on the line. The first half was rounded off when Clark finished off a shoulder high flicked cross from Liam Ross for his second of the game. The second half saw much of the same, Thurrock piling on the pressure and creating several good chances. A fine flowing move was finished off by Liam Ross who lobbed the keeper after a good run from Steven Abbott down the right. Ross then returned the favour for Abbott to make it 5. Old Southendians then had another corner saved on the line, this time by Thurrock’s Tom Archer. A last minute penalty corner saw Mailey find man of the match Clark, who slipped the ball to Tony Cashman who was in space in front of the goal to round the game off. Next week Thurrock are playing at Palmers College at 1100 against East London.


Thurrock Ladies 3s were without many of their regular players due to half term holidays but their opponents Brentwood were in the same predicament. Brentwood started very well and thought they had scored a goal but the ball had gone off the pitch before the strike was taken. The rest of the first half was end to end but neither team was able to break the deadlock.

Thurrock started the second half with several well worked attacks and were awarded two short corners but were still unable to get the goal they were working so hard for. Thurrock did not give up and eventually got the ball to Lauren Marshal who put the ball past Brentwood’s keeper to score Thurrock’s first goal of the season. Brentwood tried to counter but Thurrock scored again, this time through Sally Willett. Lauren Marshal scored again to bag Thurrock all 3 points. Girl of the game was shared between Lauren Marshal and Chloe Brady.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles