Fire started by electric heater in Grays

Screenshot 2019-02-15 at 08.11.08

FIRE Crews were called to a house in Crest Avenue, Grays, after neighbours heard the smoke alarm.

On arrival firefighters reported that there was a small fire in the living room.

Crews worked to extinguish the fire and clear the property of smoke by 2.05pm.

The house has suffered some smoke damage.

Watch Manager Dave Hogan said:

“The fire started after a towel was left on an electric heater.

“If you use any type of portable heater in your home, please follow our advice to keep you and your family safe:

Never leave portable heaters unattended
Never leave them on whilst sleeping
Ensure that they are positioned well away from anything which could knock them over
Ensure they are at least a metre away from any combustible materials (paper/curtains)
Never buy second hand halogen heaters
Never power a halogen heater from an extension lead – these can easily be overloaded and cause fires
Regularly inspect your heater and extension lead for damage. If it’s damaged, don’t use it.
Do not dry clothes or towels on portable heaters.

“This incident shows how a smoke alarm provides vital warning that a fire has broken out, and can even alert neighbours when you’re out of the house.”

Not got smoke alarms in your home?

“We want every home in Essex to be protected by working smoke alarms – so if you don’t have any working smoke alarms in your home, we’ll come and fit them for FREE”.

To get your new smoke alarms fitted, please arrange a Home Safety Visit by calling 0300 303 0088 or book online: www.essex-fire.gov.uk/book

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.