Corringham: Firefighters issue safety advice after four occupants escape house fire

ESSEX Firefighters have issued safety advice after four occupants escaped a house fire caused after a device had been left to charge unattended overnight.

An elderly occupant from the house in Central Avenue, Corringham was alerted by the sound of the fire, which was burning in her living room, and managed to ensure everyone else within the bungalow exited safely.

Screenshot 2019-03-01 at 15.00.21

When crews arrived, they advised that the room was filled with smoke and the fire had begun to spread to furnishings.

The fire was extinguished by 1.50am.

Kevin Hercock, Watch Manager at Orsett Fire Station, said: “The occupants of this property are very lucky to have escaped serious consequences this morning.

“I know it can sometimes be tempting to leave electrical devices charging overnight while you aren’t using them, but this incident demonstrates exactly why you shouldn’t: it can cause fires.

“Particularly as this property didn’t have a working smoke alarm fitted, this fire could easily have had a much more tragic ending. Please, follow our safety advice when using electrical devices – and make sure you call us to arrange a free smoke alarm fitting if you don’t already have one.”

One man was left in the care of the Ambulance Service after suffering from smoke inhalation.

Fortunately, the fire was contained to the living room and no other rooms in the property were damaged.

Charging electrical devices – don’t run the risk!
• Don’t leave items on charge or plugged in overnight or whilst you are out of the house.
• Never leave plugged in and turned on when they are not in use.
• Don’t leave items on charge for long periods.
• Only use the charger supplied by the manufacturer.
• Look out for the CE mark that indicates chargers comply with European Safety standards.

Not got a working smoke alarm fitted?

We want every home in Essex to have the excellent protection that smoke alarms provide.

If you don’t have a working smoke alarm in your property, we would urge you to give us a call on 0300 303 0088 or go to – we’ll come and fit them for FREE!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.