Sunday, January 29, 2023

Warning after loft fire in Purfleet


ESSEX Firefighters were called to a fire in a loft in a house in Purfleet on Friday night.

When fire crews arrived in Thamley they reported that there was a small fire in the loft area, and several items which were stored in the loft had been damaged by the fire.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a backpack sprayer to extinguish the fire. Crews also used a thermal imaging camera (which detects heat) to ensure that all hot spots were found.

The occupants of the house were alerted to the fire by a crackling sound coming from their loft. They then spotted smoke. They were not alerted to the fire by their smoke alarm as the battery was not working. Had the fire started later when the occupants were asleep, the fire would have taken hold and caused a lot more damage.

Do you have working smoke alarms at home?

We want every home in Essex to be provided with the excellent protection that smoke alarms offer. Smoke alarms alert give you early warning of a fire which will give you and your family a chance to escape your home safely.

We will provide and fit smoke alarms completely FREE of charge. Contact us today: call 0300 303 0088 or visit


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles