Sunday, September 25, 2022

Second kitchen flat fire in two days in Tilbury

ESSEX Firefighters were called to a fire in the kitchen of a first floor flat in Dick Road, Tilbury last night (Wednesday 28 August).

When fire crews arrived at the property they reported that the fire was contained to one flat and all residents were safe to stay in their properties and were not required to be evacuated.

Firefighters managed to quickly extinguish the fire and used a high powered fan to clear smoke from the property. The damage was contained to the cooker where cooking had been left unattended.

Watch Manager Dave Bond said:

“This incident could easily have been much more serious – and it was caused by a careless mistake.

“Please, if you’re cooking, don’t leave it unattended – but if you need to leave the room, take it off the heat so there’s no risk of a fire developing while you’re not there.

Cooking safety advice

Take care if you need to leave the kitchen whilst cooking, take pans off the heat or turn them down to avoid risk.
Avoid leaving children in the kitchen alone when cooking on the hob. Keep matches and saucepan handles out of their reach to keep them safe.
Make sure saucepan handles don’t stick out – so they don’t get knocked off the stove.
Take care if you’re wearing loose clothing – this can easily catch fire.
Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.
Double check the cooker is off when you’ve finished cooking.
If you live in a high rise building it is important for your own safety to understand what to do in the event of a fire, whether it’s in your flat or somewhere else in the building: Find out more by visiting our High Rise Safety pages.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles