Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Thurrock 3 v 2 Welling

By Bill Robinson

We were treated to thoroughly entertaining game of football here tonight at Ship Lane, with both sides competing in a game that that either side could have won. The difference was Thurrock’s finishing, more clinical and precise, something that was missing last season. Welling had chances but Joe Woolley in the Thurrock goal kept most of them out.

The First half was evenly balanced in possession but Thurrock edged the number of goal threats and broke the deadlock in the 22nd minute after some neat football by David Bryant and Matt Bodkin on the right flank, Bryant’s cross found Fola Orilonishe unmarked just left of the penalty spot and he steering the ball home into the far corner of the net.

Welling responded well putting Thurrock under pressure as they headed forward looking to equalize. The pacey Loui Fazackerley was the danger man he caught the Thurrock defence out twice with his speed only to be foiled by Woolley.

Unfortunately for Fazackerley he sustained an injury and was replaced in the 40th minute by Jake Hobbs.

The second half was just as hectic with goal mouth chances but it was Welling who scored next, on 54 minutes, a long cross from the right saw Woolley misjudge the flight of the ball and as the header was knocked back across the goal Lee Clarke had a simple tap in the level the scores.

Within 60 seconds Thurrock regained the lead, a free kick some 25 yards from the Welling goal and we saw Matt Bodkin place the ball over the wall and past keeper Charlie Mitten for number two.

Welling kept on pushing forward looking to score so Thurrock started to use the long ball to break out of defence and into attack. On one such occasion the ball found Paul Olima just inside his own half, he turned and slid the ball through the Welling defence into the path of Leon Lalite who was clear of his marker, he rounded the keeper to slot home Thurrocks third.

This time it was Welling’s turn to reply within 60 seconds, straight from the restart Welling went into attack and looked to have caught the Thurrock defence a little flat footed which allowed Clark to put a through ball into the Thurrock box for Jake Hobbs to run onto and around he keeper or their second goal.

The game tightened up for the remaining twenty five minutes as Thurrock soaked up the Welling pressure, but managed to hold on for a moral boosting win and move them upto seventh in the league table.

Attendance: 378

Referee: John Scott

Thurrock: Woolley, Andrews, Flynn, Anderson, Clark, Bodkin, Lalite (Gilbey 77), Paine, Orilonishe, Bryant, Olima. Subs not used – Knight, Rafis, Luke, Lemonius Goals: Orilonishe 22, Bodkin 56, Lalite 64

Welling: Mitten, Sambrook, Haswell, Parkinson, King, Cracknell, Johnson, Minton (Hughes 76), Fazarlackey (Hobbs 39), Clarke, Deane (Hurrell 59) Subs not used: Lheureux, Ngakam Goals: Clarke 54, Hobbs 65


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles