THE THURROCK BOYS in Blue are now side by side with the Labour reds in slamming the proposed Tory cuts to the police services.
Labour leader of Thurrock Council, John Kent spoke out last week against the cuts which could see no police station open on a Saturday night in Thurrock as well as uncertainty over police numbers on the front line.
Portfolio holder for public protection, cllr Lynn Worrall has stressed how the council is working with the police on these matters.
Cllr Worrall said: “We have been doing a lot of work with Essex Police to ensure the best service possible for our residents. We can’t change what happens nationally but we can have an input at local level.
“I am going to Chelmsford this week to discuss Operation Blueprint and will continue to fight for the best service possible for our residents.
Now the Labour councillors have found an unlikely comrade in Ockendon police inspector Marc Jordan who has used his twitter account to help campaign against the cuts.
Inspector Jordan has asked followers to “Visit the police federation website and sign the Cuts are Criminal e-petition”
Inspector Jordan and his team worked long hours during the recent riots and are clearly concerned at the possible consequences to staffing levels on the Thurrock streets.
Inspector Jordan “retweeted” “Cuts of 20% to the police could delay response times and will have an impact on levels of crime.”
Thurrock residents have complained that yobs have taunted them saying: “Do your worst. The police won’t be coming.”
The comments fly in the face of recent statements by Thurrock Conservatives.
Yesterday, shadow portfolio holder for public protection, cllr James Halden issued a press statement putting the blame on Labour.
Cllr Halden said: “Despite the funding cuts made necessary by Labours legacy of debt, Essex will in fact have more officers out and about.”