SEVEN-year old Andreas Mouton of South Ockendon and 13 fellow students of Seitou Ryu Karate Club took part in the 1st TKF National Championships held at Crystal Palace, South London.
Over 250 competitors entered from across the UK as well as Russia and Hungary. Andreas beat all in his division to become the National Kata Champion for his age group, earning himself a gold medal and a provisional place in the TKF Great Britain Squad.
As well as being the youngest member of his club to compete, Andreas, as a 7th Kyu (orange belt) was one of the lowest grades. He started training in karate 18 months ago and decided to try out for the tournament squad in September this year.
The Chief Instructor of Seitou Ryu Karate, Sensei Richard Hang Hong, a 3rd Dan black belt from Wickford, noticed Andreas’ solid techniques and his great attitude to training and decided to give him a place on the squad.
Richard says, “Andreas showed a very strong kata for his age with sharp technique, he has great potential, as winning gold at his second tournament proves.”
14 members of the Seitou Ryu Karate National Squad (also known as Team SRK) entered, winning 2 Gold, 5 Silver, 3 Bronze medals.
· Richard Hang Hong: 30yrs, 3rd Dan from Wickford – Silver (Kata), Gold (Team Kumite)
· Martin Lawrence: 28yrs, 1st Dan from Chelmsford– Silver (Kumite)
· Samuel Parker: 18yrs, 1st Dan from Tilbury – Silver (Kata)
· Jade Green: 15yrs, 1st Dan from South Ockendon – Silver (Kata), Bronze (Kumite)
· Tatum Mandy: 11yrs, 2nd kyu from Tilbury – Silver (Kumite)
· Jorden Saunders: 13yrs, 4th kyu from Corringham – Bronze (Kumite)
· James Burberry: 9yrs, 6th kyu from Chelmsford – Bronze (Kumite)
· Andreas Mouton: 7yrs, 7th kyu from South Ockendon – Gold (Kata) (Andreas’ first National level competition and second tournament ever.)
Classes in Seitou Ryu Karate run all year round across Grays, South Ockendon, Wickford and Chelmsford.
With over 200 members training throughout these areas, it is suitable for everyone from five years old upwards, with separate classes for all ages and abilities.
For more information about classes please contact Sensei Richard on 07899 827476 or visit the club website; www.seitouryukarate.com