Sunday, July 14, 2024

Football: Rocks back on track with impressive home win

Ryman Premier

East Thurrock United 2 v 0 Enfield Town

EAST Thurrock claimed their second home league win of the season and probably ought to have won by a bigger margin, dominating the game, if not quite from the start to finish.

Indeed there was a lucky escape for East Thurrock in the sixth minute when a foul was awarded against L’Hereaux Menga and Enfield’s Jordan Lee quickly played the ball forward to Scott McGleish. He looked to be offside but with the home defence in disarray he looped a header over keeper Elliot Justham, who was grateful to see it come down off the underside of the crossbar and he grabbed it.

Rocks’ first real chance came on ten minutes when Sam Collins did well to cross and Menga’s powerful downward header was inches past the post.

The home side were gradually gaining the upper hand and the deadlock was broken on 18 minutes when a free-flowing move ended with Reiss Gilbey squaring the ball into the box and Sam Collins guided the ball past Noel Imber.

There was another scare for the home side when skipper Mark Kirby flicked the ball past his own keeper as he attempted to clear and was grateful to see the ball fly past the upright. A glorious chance fell to Rocks debutant

David Bryant ten minutes before the break when Collins and Tom Stephens combined, resulting in a super cross which picked out Bryant in space but he headed wide with the goal at his mercy.

Moments later Bryant’s individual skill opened the door for Collins but he smashed the ball straight at Imber. However, it didn’t take much longer for the second goal that Rocks deserved, Liam Burgess playing the ball into Bryant, whose first effort was blocked by Imber but the striker followed up to extend the lead with three minutes of the half remaining.

Town almost got a goal back a minute after the restart when McGleish first hit the post then brought a great save from Justham as he followed up on the rebound.

Rocks weathered the early Enfield storm and began to assert themselves again, with another free-flowing first touch move ending with Collins shooting just over. Meuga then thrashed a long range shot goalwards that Imber did well to push wide.

Joe O’Brien forced a save from Justham as Enfield battled hard to get back in but the opportunities continued at the other end, Collins firing wide after Gilbey, who otherwise had a superb game in midfield, miscued when well placed.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles