Saturday, February 24, 2024

Football: Canvey just too strong for battling Millers

FA Cup 1st Qualifying Round

Aveley 2 v 5 Canvey Island

CANVEY Island cruised into the next round of the FA Cup with this convincing win at Ryman Division One North high flyers Aveley, though the home side felt the game turned on a disputed first half penalty.
Aveley actually scored the first and last goals of the game, but in between a hat-trick of penalties from Jay Curran and a brace from Simon Thomas ensured Ryman Premier Canvey’s name will be in Monday’s hat.

The Millers had taken the lead, albeit against the run of play, when Ross Wall slotted home after being played in by Shane Oakley on 15 minutes.

But after a contentious penalty after 33 minutes levelled matters up is was mostly one way traffic as Canvey took control. Adam Flanagan was adjudged to have fouled Simon Thomas in the area. Millers were furious but referee Jonathan Block waved away their protests thought otherwise and awarded the penalty which and Curran successfully dispatched the spot kick straight down the middle.

Canvey then took the lead just before the break when Rob Bartley’s long ball forward found Simon Thomas, who in turn headed the ball out to the left wing for Ashley Dumas. Dumas crossed the ball back in and found Thomas, and the striker managed to get the ball out of his feet and into the back of the net via the post.

It was 3-1 ten minutes into the second half when Thomas was fouled in the area again, Jay Leader this time the guilty man. Curran dispatched his penalty in similar fashion to give his side some breathing space.
Curran completed his hattrick of penalties in the 84th minute after left back Teddy Nesbitt fouled substitute Emeka Onwubiko as he charged into the area, and this time Curran powered his shot to the right of the keeper.

Two minutes later another subsitute, Jay Nash, did well to collect the ball in midfield and take it towards goal before finding Simon Thomas in the area. Nash continued his run, but Thomas finished expertly with his left foot, beating Millers’ keeper Jack Giddens at his near post.

Kabir Jeetoo did manage to grab himself his first goal for the club, but it was nothing but mere consolation for the Millers.

Aveley head coach Glenn Robson said: “In the first half we restricted them to very little. Most of the players were doing their jobs that they were asked to do.”

“We didn’t have any creativity of our own, but we were always in the game. A goal either side for us of half time would have probably put us back involved in the game, but the penalty decision has absolutely killed us. The referee got it wrong. Simple as that.”


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles