IN the last week the government has twice said it intends to make an announcement about the Thames crossing in Thurrock.
Secretary of State for Transport, Patrick McLoughlin wrote to Thurrock Council Leader Cllr John Kent on Friday (6 December) to say: “It remains our intention to make an announcement this year.”
And a day earlier, Minister of State at the Department for Transport, Baroness Kramer, told a House of Lords debate on the crossing: “The department intends shortly to publish a summary of the consultation response and announce next steps”.
Cllr Kent said: “We’ve been promised an announcement about a decision on whether the government prefers Option A, B, or C for several months.
“Now they’re saying they’ll make ‘an announcement’ or publish summaries and ‘next steps’ soon.
“Mr McLoughlin’s letter says the government received 5,700 responses to the consultation, perhaps they were surprised by the number, maybe thousands of people agreed with us – none of the above?
“Whatever the reason, and whatever the outcome, local people want an end to the prevarication and I call on Mr McLoughlin to stick to his promise this time and make ‘an announcement’ by the end of the year.”