Football: Incredible comeback as Rocks stave off relegation.

Ryman Premier

East Thurrock United 4 v 2 Bognor Regis Town

EAST Thurrock United produced an incredible comeback to come from 2-0 down to beat Bognor 4-2 at the Rookery Hill.

The first corner of the game came in the 5th minute after good work by Lewis Smith. It came to nothing but showed that East Thurrock were going to attack.

However, they received a blow when an early ball was seized on by Terry Dodd. He passed square to an unmarked Ben Johnson who stroked it into the net.

East Thurrock nearly equalised a few minutes later when Nick Symons hit the bar.

Things got worse for East Thurrock when striker Ollie Pearce knocked in a second goal in the 14th minute.

East Thurrock had no option to continue fighting. They ht the bar again in the 17th minute but you had the feeling that promotion contenders Bognor could score at will. They were a fast moving team with players moving from midfield to attack very quickly.

Covo’s team plugged away and did not seem to be able to carve out a chance until the 35th minute when following a goalmouth scramble, David Bryant blasted the ball home from close range.

East Thurrock were working so hard and playing so well. They nearly grabbed an equaliser just before half time after good work on the right, Sam Higgins nodded the ball towards goal but the keeper had it covered.

East Thurrock continued to press in the second half as their Ryman Premier lives depended on it. As often happens, Sam Higgins starts to drift to the right and so left little on offer at the front.

The Bognor fans found their as Rocks continued to press. They got their just desserts in the 54th minute when after good work from Higgins in the box, the hard working Mitchell Gilbey scored from close range.

It was now game on and so exciting. The ball pinged around the area as East Thurrock played like men possessed. more great work from Higgins forced a corner.

There were eyes on watches, eyes on other scores as the Rocks tried and tried. Unbelievably, they went into the lead as in the 65th minute, there was another scramble, Higgins dug it out from out of the path of Bognor defenders for Mitchell Gilbey to pile the ball high into the net.

And then the miracle continued when in the 75th minute, Sam Higgins scored after a shot from outside the box took a wicked deflection and sailed over the keepers head.

The crowd, the team, the place went mad as Rocks edged closer to safety. Bognor were really a spent force and had the play offs next week in mind.

East Thurrock were able to run down the clock quite safely. The crowd exploded, the players celebrated and Covo and his coaching team looked very happy indeed.

East Thurrock United: Hughes D, Sammons R, Stephen T, Peddie S, Sheehan S, Parmenter R, Gilbey M, Symons N, Higgins S, Bryant D, Smith L.

Subs not used: Witherspoon C, Lechmere S, Richmond N, Anderson T, Nganda J.

Bognor Regis Town: Smith G, Weir M, Crane J (Sackman D 46), Tuck D, Asten S, Robson C, Chamberlain S, Wills K, Dodd T, Pearce O, Johnson B (Wollers D 65).

Subs not used: Morley R, Hinshlewood P, Killpatrick D.


2 Responses to "Football: Incredible comeback as Rocks stave off relegation."

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.