FIRE crews attended a domestic fire contained within a single room of a property at Lionel Oxley House, Grays, on Friday 13 October.
The council is providing all available assistance to the tenant and is assessing the damage to the property and required repairs. The tenant is back in the property.
Leader of the Council, Cllr Rob Gledhill, said: “Any fire in a tower block is cause for concern – I am happy to say the damage caused by the fire was minimal”.
“Within minutes, the fire service and council officers were on the scene – dealing with the fire and assisting the family.
“In the days following the tragedy at Grenfell Tower, council officers hand-delivered fire safety guidance to every high rise property for which the council is the landlord, and extra fire safety checks were carried out.
“Public meetings were held with Essex County Fire and Rescue Service, council officers and myself which again highlighted what to do in the event of a fire in the property, the stay put policy, what it means and the reasons why the fire service say it is the best thing to do. We are also bringing forward my suggestion to fix hard copies of this guidance to the entry doors, like you see in hotels, of every flat.
“I want to thank Essex Fire and Rescue Service and council officers for their swift and efficient action and reassure residents that we continue to put their safety first.”