Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Football: Aveley’s hardwork counts for nothing

Bostik Div One North

Felixstowe & Walton United 2 v 0 Aveley

AVELEY made the trip back from the Essex coast wondering just how they had been beaten after dominating this Bostik North match, almost from start to finish, only to find home keeper Jack Spurling in outstanding form, his match-winning performance being capped by a penalty save.

Most of the impressive crowd of 405, which included a vocal Millers following, acknowledged it was a fortunate victory for Felixstowe, who have stepped up to this level for the first time in their history and made an impressive start to the season.
Felixstowe’s joint manager Ian Watson conceded that Aveley, who he described as “one of the best sides in the league” were unlucky.

Millers made much the better start and showed their intentions as early as the first minute when Tom Richardson’s effort was dropped by but luckily bounced away from his goal. A shot from Alex Teniola was then blocked and Spurling was called into action again to save from Shad Ngandu.

Alex Teniola the volleyed over the bar followed by Spurling having to go full stretch to keep out Sam Mvemba’s cross that drifted goalwards. Moments later he drew more applause with a top save to push Teniola’s top corner-bound effort out.

It seemed only a matter of time before Millers scored but amazingly the first goal, when it came ten minutes before the break was at the other end when keeper David Hughes failed to hold an effort from Sam Ford and Jordy Matthews pounced to net.

The second half started as the first had, with Richardson testing Spurling and the traffic remained mostly one-way, with chances for George Doyle and Richardson going begging.

Millers finally had a gilt-edged chance to draw level when substitute Alex Afrofi was brought down in the box but Richardson hesitated in his penalty run up and a lack of conviction with his strike allowed Spurling to make a save.

There was still be more drama late in the match as Felixstowe were reduced to ten men when Ben Clarke got a straight red for comments made to the referee but the story of the day was reiterated in added time when the depleted side grabbed a second goal to wrap things up, some tricky footwork from Sam Ford leaving three Millers in his wake before he scored past Hughes.

After the match Aveley coach, George Young summed things up by saying: “On another day we could have come away with a convincing win. But today it just wasn’t to be.”


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles