Hockey: Thirteen is a lucky number for Thurrock men

Thurrock Hockey


Top of the table Thurrock came up against a Clacton side rooted to the bottom of the table and without a win all season, and the difference between the 2 teams was quite evident from the outset. Thurrock began strongly, dominating possession and pushing forward at every opportunity. Ash Snell scoring a quick fire double to put Thurrock 2 up after 10 minutes and Liam Ross capitalised on a defensive error to make it 3 shortly after. Ross quickly added another before Tommy Ing scored with a drag flick from a penalty corner to make it 5. Another for Ross and one for Darren Clark saw Thurrock lead 7-0 at half time.

The second half was much the same, Clacton trying to limit the damage by piling numbers in defence, but Thurrock’s passing and movement continued to open them up. Paul Mailey controlling the midfield with Tom Archer and Max Blake sweeping up the odd attack from Clacton. Liam Ross added 4 more goals to take his tally to 7 in the match and 12 in his last 2 games. Tony Cashman added another from a well worked penalty corner and Ricky Smith rounded off the scoring late on to bring the final score to 13.


Showing total commitment to their team Tracey Martin and Sally Taylor jetted in from their holiday Saturday morning and came straight to Palmers to play Redbridge and Ilford 3s in the cold. Thurrock Ladies 3s started really well and attacked Redbridge’s goal but their defence held firm for the entire first half. Thurrock were determined to get something from this game and kept pushing up. They were awarded several short corners and finally Thurrock were rewarded for their hard work and Sally Taylor put the ball past their keeper and scored. Thurrock were not satisfied with just one goal and soon Sophie Runcorn scored her first ever senior goal. Thurrock’s defence Jess Mager, Tracey Martin, Laura Reynolds and Hannah Barcham did an amazing job because keeper Claire Brosnan did not have to make a save the entire game. Final score 2-0. Girl of the game for the second week running was Sophie ‘Dave’ Runcorn.


Due to late arrival, Thurrock started the game with 10 players, but dominated the game forcing Brentwood into defence. Forwards Michael and Matthew Fleming had a series of shots thwarted by the in-form keeper. Gradually the home side got into the game and a quick clearance deflected off a defender’s stick and straight into the path of a Brentwood who flicked the ball into the net. Up to full strength, Thurrock pressed forward and when a shot was saved by the keeper, Martin Healy was on hand to smash the ball into the net for his debut goal. Brentwood were spurred into action and gained the lead following a goalmouth scramble. However Thurrock fought back and Darren Clark levelled the score. When Brentwood mounted a strong attack and a shot looked to be creeping inside the post before Thurrock’s keeper Ryan Jones made a dive to push the ball around the post. As Thurrock congratulated the outstanding performance, the umpire consulted with his opposite number before announcing that he felt the wrong side of the stick had been used, and awarding a penalty flick which restored Academy’s lead. Strong protests by Thurrock led to a player being temporarily suspended but they held on until half time. Brentwood took advantage of the situation and as Thurrock pushed forward, they left themselves open to a breakaway run and conceded a fourth goal. This jarred Thurrock back into action and Matthew Fleming scored a third goal. Thurrock continued to dominate the game and gained a string of short corners but were unable to penetrate a resilient home defence. In the final minute, Brentwood intercepted a Thurrock hit out and added a fifth goal.


This week the Ladies 1s were up against Wapping Ladies 4s. Starting off strong Katie Jacks went up to score a brilliant first goal in the first ten minutes followed by a second shortly after from Nikhol Chapman. A strong structure meant we were in the lead and playing some of the best hockey of the season. Moving into the second half a short corner was awarded where Sally Ellis stepped up scoring two goals in succession from the post. Leah Purser ended the game 5-0 for pressuring the opposition and stopping a hit out with her reverse, dribbling round the opposition’s goal keeper to score a goal in the bottom right hand corner. Player of the match was jointly awarded to Katie Lawrence and Katie Jacks who both had terrific games along with the rest of the team. Next week we are up against Chelmsford Ladies 3s.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.