Oven fire in South Ockendon

FIRE Crews were called to a property in Quince Tree Close, South Ockendon, after the owner discovered his oven on fire.

On arrival firefighters quickly brought the fire under control and extinguished it by 6.35pm in Wednesday evening.

Watch Manager Dave Hogan, Grays Fire Station, said:

“When the homeowner realised there was a fire in his kitchen he quickly closed the door, got his family outside and called 999, which was exactly the right thing to do.

“The fire was caused by a pan of fat which had been left in the oven and eventually caught fire.

“Although the fire was quickly extinguished the smoke had already spread throughout the rest of the property.

“As the smoke was full of fat it has left a very strong smell across the entire property, including deep into the furniture, as well as causing some damage to the kitchen.

“Always check your oven for pans before you turn it on and ensure you regularly clean it to avoid a build up of grease and reduce the risk of fire.”

Cooking safety advice

Take care if you need to leave the kitchen whilst cooking, take pans off the heat or turn them down to avoid risk.
Avoid leaving children in the kitchen alone when cooking on the hob. Keep matches and saucepan handles out of their reach to keep them safe.
Make sure saucepan handles don’t stick out – so they don’t get knocked off the stove.
Take care if you’re wearing loose clothing – this can easily catch fire.
Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.
Double check the cooker is off when you’ve finished cooking.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.